Dr. Prabhakar SIVAPURAM V.R.K.
Has more than 15 years of rich contributing experience in the fields of:
1. Climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction (at IGES and Kyoto University)
2. Disaster risk reduction, including drought risk reduction and capacity building (at UNDP-DRM, India)
3. Conservation farming and participatory research and development (at RWC-CIMMYT, India)
4. Crop simulation modeling and farmer decision support tools (at IARI, India)
5. Screening of pegionpea and sorghum cultivars for nutrient deficiency tolerance, socio-economic and crop management survey of farmer in dry tracks of India (at ICRISAT, India)
6. Agriculture, food and energy (at IGES and RWC-CIMMYT, India)
7. Contributing author to the Asia Chapter of IPCC 5th Assessment Report, Working Group II and reviewer at various peer reviewed international journals in the fields of climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction, and energy
Some work prior to IGES:
> Prabhakar, S.V.R.K. and R. Shaw. 2008. Climate change adaptation implications for drought risk mitigation: A perspective for India. Climatic Change 88(2): 113-130. Full paper is available at http://www.springerlink.com/content/h42654628232766k/
> Oxfam GB and Kyoto University. 2008. Drought Management Considerations for Climate Change Adaptation. Focus on the Mekong Region: Cambodia, Svay Rieng province. Available at http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/policy/climate_change/cambodia.html
> Oxfam GB and Kyoto University. 2008. Drought-Management Considerations for Climate-Change Adaptation. Focus on the Mekong Region: Viet Nam, Ninh Thuan province. Available at http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/policy/climate_change/vietnam.html
> FAO-APAARI. 2002. Resource Conserving Technologies: Transforming the Rice-Wheat Systems of the Indo-Gangetic Plains. http://www.apaari.org/publications/resource-conserving-technologies-tran... (Authors: Raj K. Gupta, PeterR. Hobbs, J.K. Ladha and S.V.R.K. Prabhakar)
> Obtained funding from/managed/participated in research projects funded by: Suishinhi, Kakehnhi, ADB, APN, APAN and IFAD
>Worked in the following positions: Senior Policy Researcher, IGES, Japan (2010 onwards), Policy Researcher, IGES, Japan (2007-2010), JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow, Kyoto University, Japan (2005-2007), Visiting scholar, National Drought Mitigation Center (NDMC) at University of Nebraska–Lincoln (March 2007), Drought Specialist and Program Associate-DRM, United Nations Development Program-GoI DRM Program, New Delhi, India (2004-2005), Research Fellow, Rice-Wheat Consortium for the Indo-Gangetic Plains of International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), New Delhi, India (2001-2003), Research Fellow, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, IARI, New Delhi, India (2001), Research Fellow, International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), Hyderabad, India (1996).
Research Topics & Areas of Expertise
Currently engaged in the following research areas:
Measuring effectiveness of adaptation actions, Adaptation decision making frameworks, Scaling up risk insurance, Loss and damage associated with climate change, Equity and fairness in community based adaptation, Adaptive policies, Training needs assessment for climate change adaptation and Displacement and migration.
1. PhD from Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi, India, 2001
2. PGD in Planning and Management, University of Hyderabad, India, 2004
3. MS (Ag) from Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, India, 1996
4. BSc (Ag) from Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, India, 1994